MANKATO, Minn. – Construction on eastbound I-90 between Sherburn and Fairmont is expected to begin on Monday, May 9, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Traffic will be reduced to a single lane in the eastbound lanes during construction. Additional work will require temporary road restrictions in the westbound lanes during construction. Separate temporary eastbound on and off ramp closures will be required for approximately one week each at Hwy 263 and at Martin County 39 (190th Ave.) during the project. Motorists are encouraged to monitor www.511mn.org in advance of the ramp closures.
Construction on the 15 miles of I-90 is expected to be complete in early August and includes resurfacing traffic lanes, shoulders and ramps, updating guardrail, improving drainage, and updating lighting at the Hwy 4 and Hwy 15 interchanges.
Visit the project website for more information and to sign up for email updates. Information will also be shared on the MnDOT South Central Minnesota Facebook group and the MnDOT District 7 Twitter account.
Ulland Brothers, Inc. was awarded the project with a bid of $5,652,485.68.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times